As a part of the implementation of CONFER´s Plan for Exploitation and Dissemination, ICPAC arranged a five day training webinar which took place 7th-11th June 2021, funded by the EU. ICPAC is working to teach the Meterological Departments how to disseminate Climate information and operational Climate services, and this webinar was a part of this training. The goal of the webinar was for National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) in East Africa to improve their knowledge on how best to disseminate climate information.
To be able to communicate the results of the research in a good way is an important part of the CONFER project, and one of the main goals of the webinar was to give the NHHSs in East Africa an opportunity to adopt efficient national dissemination strategies. By giving them the necessary knowledge and tools for effective dissemination of climate information, the NMHSs will be able to generate better digital content and thus improve communication, advocacy, social marketing and visibility activities. Consequently, the uptake of climate services in East Africa can be improved further.
The following contains a short summary of the main points from the event:
- Strengthen the NMHSs capacity to use Digital Marketing, multimedia production and data visualization tools to disseminate Weather and Climate Information
- Improve climate information uptake
- Improve the use of technology to promote adaptation and mitigation behaviours to climate change
Topics that were covered in the webinar include:
- Video production
- Email marketing
- Presentation of weather forecast
- Mainstream climate information (i.e. radio)
- Public information (i.e. digital press conferences, press releases, engaging with journalists etc.)
- Online activities and events
- Integrating Science and traditional forecasting to climate information
- Weather apps and data visualisation
- Social media management
After finished course, the participants should be able to use and understand all the above applications in their communication platforms for efficient dissemination of climate information. Participants were trained on topics such as improving user data management, digital marketing, how to produce interactive contents and how to operate commonly used software in the production and dissemination of climate information.
Watch the webinar in whole here: